Author

Anthony Adewale

Browsing

An official of Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps attached to Ndubuisi Emenike, a politician in Imo State, has accidentally shot his boss dead.

Emenike was the senatorial candidate of the Action Alliance during the 2019 election and was vying to replace Senator Benjamin Uwajumogu, who won election to represent Okigwe zone but died six months after inauguration when the incident happened.

Reports had it that Emenike attended a function in Isiala Mbano Local Government Area of the state and was about to leave when his security aide mistakenly shot him.

He was rushed to the Federal Medical Centre, Owerri, where doctors battled in vain to save his life.

Spokesperson for the police in the state, Orlando Ikeokwum, confirmed the shooting but didn’t give much details.

Justice Okon Abang of the Federal High Court, Abuja, has amended the bail condition of former Chairman of the defunct Pension Reform Task Team, Dr Abdulrasheed Maina.

While ruling on the bail variation application, Abang ordered Maina to now produce one serving senator as a surety.

Justice Abang also said the senator must sign a bail bond in the sum of N500m.

The court held that the senator must accompany Maina to court on any day of trial and must sign a register of attendance, after which the senator is free to go for his normal business.

Abang added that the senator must own a developed property with statutory certificate of occupancy in Katampe, Wuse 2, CBD etc.

The court had on November 26, 2019, granted bail to Maina in the sum of N1bn.

The court ordered that Maina must produce two sureties, who must be serving senators.

The senators, according to the court, must not be standing any criminal trial in any court in the country.

The court also ordered that the two sureties, who must be prepared for N500m bond each, must always be in court with the defendant at each adjourned date of the trial.

Considering the bail term as impossible to meet, Maina in a motion on notice dated December 6, 2019 applied for leave for variation of the bail condition.

Francisca, wife of slain journalist, Alex Ogbu, has told Reporters that his tragic demise had filled their lives with darkness.

Speaking for the first time on Monday since her husband was allegedly felled by police bullets on January 21 in Abuja during a protest by members of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, the mother of one, who has been heartbroken since that period, told our correspondent that she currently feels as if the entire world had crumbled on her as a result of the sad event.

While demanding justice and transparency in the unravelling of her husband’s killers, Francisca, who is a volunteer with N- Power, a Federal government Social Investment Programme, said the tragic incident had turned her into a widow at a young age.

Fighting back tears, she said, “There is no word to describe the pain we feel over the death of my husband.

“His tragic demise has brought darkness into our lives in every sense. Our two-year-old daughter has been crying and asking after her father.

“I don’t know how to comfort her because I also need someone to wake me up and tell me this is a dream.

“My husband was everything to us. I don’t know how I will cope with life and raising our daughter without him around.”

Calling on the police to fish out its personnel responsible for Ogbu’s death, Francisca told SaharaReporters that the authorities had not been very transparent about the entire incident and the process to conduct an autopsy on the deceased.

She added, “I want the police to come out and say the truth and let the world know that they killed my husband.

“They have so far been economical with the truth by trying to alter the narrative and claiming that my husband was an accident victim.

“The notice given to us to bring a pathologist for the autopsy investigation to be carried out at the National Hospital was short.

“All I want is justice for my late husband.”

Findings by Reporters revealed that the results of the autopsy will be ready in two weeks.

Also, it was gathered that officers at Utako Police Station in charge of the matter had refused to release items retrieved from the deceased to the family, which include cash, mobile phones and ATM cards, claiming that investigation had not been concluded.

A pregnant woman and 16 others have been killed in an overnight attack on Ruboi community under Bokkos Local Government Area of Plateau State by Fulani herdsmen, Reporters can confirm.

An eyewitness told Reporters that, “The marauding herdsmen burnt almost all houses in Ruboi. No house was spared.”

Another eyewitness while confirming the incident, said, “They killed seventeen, five are injured and several houses are burnt.

“The first attack started at 7:30pm and continued, the second one was from around 8:00pm to 4:00am.”

He said the attack went on unhindered despite calling on the military and police for help.

He said, “We called them but you know the security, the obey orders.

“When we called them, they said they are coming but they didn’t come.

“We just learnt that they stopped somewhere. When they (military) learnt that they (Fulani) burnt houses and killed people, they started coming to intervene but it was too late.

“We saw their faces, they were Fulani herdsmen and they all wore black.

“There was no disagreement, they wrote on our walls that they were going to drive us away from the land because they said the land belonged to them.

“During the attack, they were shouting ‘Plateau belongs to us!’, ‘Bokkos belongs to us!’.

“They want our land and are killing us to take it because the government is silent.”

A suspected armed robber, Ehuiwe Akire, has confessed to learning robbery when he was remanded in prison for another offence.

Akire was arrested by operatives of the Inspector-General of Police Response Team after a robbery incident in the FESTAC and Apapa areas of Lagos.

Akire, according to a report by PUNCH, is said to be the leader of a six-man gang.

The 35-year-old man was reportedly arrested along Isheri-Igando Road on January 16, 2020 as he attempted to resume operations with his gang members.

Police said two Beretta pistols were recovered from the suspect.

Akire told the police that he only used guns to threaten victims and force them to part with their valuables.

Explaining how he got into crime, the father of one said he was an artisan but was not earning enough income.

He said, “I dropped out of school at primary six. I was into bricklaying but I was not making enough money despite all my efforts.

“I started sneaking into shops when owners were asleep to steal their handsets, money from drawers and anything valuable.

“I was making big money but I did not save. I used the money to take women to hotels. I am married with a daughter but my wife and I have separated. She left me when she discovered I was a thief. I was later arrested by police at the Adeniji Adele (Lagos Island) for receiving stolen items and charged.”

Akire said while he was on remand in prison, he met inmates who taught him how to make more money through armed robbery.

He explained that he joined a cult group upon his release from prison and formed a robbery gang.

He said, “Joining the cult gave me the courage to carry gun. My cult members ordered me to buy two guns for them which I did. I then bought my own guns which I used for operations.

“My members are Festus, Obilo, Lastborn, Segun, Shedra and we operate in Apapa, FESTAC, Mushin and Surulere. If we wanted to rob someone coming from bank with money, Festus would pretend as if he wanted to withdraw money.

“He would enter the bank hall and start to monitor the person who came to withdraw huge amount of money. The rest of us would stay outside watching. Once the target had withdrawn the money and heading out, Festus would follow the person closely and would make a signal to us.”

He said as soon as their victims moved away from the bank premises, they would collect the money and escape on standby motorcycles.

Akire said he usually realised between N20,000 and N250,000 on each operation, adding that he made about N1.2m in one of the operations.

“I bought a parcel of land for N500,00 out of the money. Whenever there was no robbery operation, I engaged in stealing to make small money so I could cope.”

Gunmen, who invaded some communities in Niger State, have killed 11 people and also kidnapped four women.

The gunmen stormed Kudodo, Galapai, Dnakpala Makera and Dnalgwa communities in the early hours of Saturday.

The bandits were said to have moved from house to house to carry out their activities, The Nation newspaper reported.

Senator representing Niger-East Senatorial District, Alhaji Sani Musa, confirmed the latest attack, saying that the situation was getting out of hand.

The lawmaker lamented the incessant killings and called on the Federal Government and security agencies to up their strategies.

He said, “As the attacks continued, more villagers in my constituency are awaiting their fate as no sign of succour seems to be coming their way.

“It is confirmed that the bandits are attacking all through the night to this afternoon

Leah Sharibu, a Christian girl kidnapped and held in Boko Haram captivity for over one year, has given birth to a baby boy.

Leah was delivered of the baby a few weeks ago following her forceful marriage to a top Boko Haram commander, according to a reliable source close to the terror group.

The source said Leah, who refused to renounce her Christian faith, was forced to accept Islam before being married to a top commander of the terror group.

Leah was among dozens of girls seized from a school in Yobe State by Boko Haram fighters two years ago.

Godswill Akpabio, minister of Niger Delta affairs, says he has no interest in the ongoing rerun election for Akwa Ibom north-west senatorial district.

The minister, who was the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in the initial poll, insisted he has withdrawn from the poll, contrary to a directive from the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

Akpabio had informed INEC he is withdrawing from the rerun which was announced after he had been appointed minister.

But the commission said he remains a candidate and cannot be replaced by his party. It said this is because the time for nomination of candidates had elapsed.

However, in a statement by Anietie Ekong, his chief press secretary, Akpabio distanced himself from the poll while also denying the rumour linking him to irregularities in the ongoing exercise.

He said: “It is well known that because of higher national responsibilities as Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Senator Akpabio had withdrawn his candidature from the said election. He was replaced by the APC with Obongemem Ekperikpe Ekpo.

“The other candidates who were scheduled for the elections, Rt Hon Nse Ntuen and Rt. Hon Emmanuel Akpan have written to announce their withdrawal from the elections.

”And just yesterday, the State Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) Hon Ini Okopido at a widely publicized press conference announced that the APC will not participate in the rerun elections.

“So on what basis would any sane human being link Senator Akpabio to whatever is happening in Essien Udim Local Government Area?”

Ekong said Akpabio is not in the LGA, and “has no interest whatsoever in what is going on there”.

An Edo state magistrate court has sentenced Vincent Akande to 14 years’ imprisonment without fine for raping a minor. 

Akande, a former vigilante, was said to have sexually assaulted the 14-year-old girl who is said to be suffering from epilepsy.

The victim was said to be by the riverside at Ososo community, fetching stones for sale, when Akande accosted and violated her.

In his ruling, Nosa Musoe, chief magistrate of the Igarra magistrate court, Akoko-Edo, said the accused was “deceptive”.

He also condemned the “outrageous” incidents of sexual assaults in the local government area.

Reacting in a statement, BraveHeart Initiative for Youth & Women (BHI), expressed satisfaction with the verdict.

BHI is a non-governmental organisation in Edo that seeks to advance young people’s health and development as well as promote women’s rights.

The statement, signed by Priscilla Usiobaifo, founder/executive director of BHI, described the verdict as “a glint of hope” for victims of sexual assault.

“This verdict offers a glint of hope for justice to sexual assault survivors in a country where security agencies, health workers, traditional stakeholders and many first responders show low interest and willingness to sanction sexual offenders,” the statement read.

”40 yrs old Vincent Akande did not only sexually assault the 14 years old victim but also threatened her with death.

“He held his hunting gun towards her and threatened to kill her in a similar manner as was a 3yr old sexually assaulted and murdered in the same environs.

“He took advantage of the victim’s vulnerability due to her disability.

“The case of Vincent Akande was reported to BHI on the 22nd of May 2019. The case was transferred to SCIID, Benin on the 29th of May and the matter arraigned in court on the 3rd of June, 2019.

“Vincent Akande’s case brings to fore the Sexual and Reproductive Health challenges of girls with disabilities in Nigeria. Vincent sexually assaulted a 14 years old girl with a medical history of epilepsy.

“The girl lacked basic education due to her medical condition and lived most of her childhood as an Out-Of-School girl. Being Out-of-School and from a poor home, this survivor has a significant vulnerability index.”

BHI said it noticed apathy in some community members when it sought to intervene in the case.

The initiative said society’s attitude to issues of sexual and reproductive rights is biased and uninformed.

“When BraveHeart Initiative initiated intervention in the case, the BHI Team noticed apathy in some community members as many of them felt Persons With Disabilities (PWD) didn’t deserve certain rights especially with regards to sexual rights,” it said.

“Many of the community members do not see reason why a PWD should report sexual assault let alone seek redress.

“BHI provided comprehensive services for the survivor and her family including MEDICALS (Investigations, Examinations, Preventive Services and Treatment); LEGAL AID (Investigation, Prosecution, Court appearances) and PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT (Counselling sessions, Follow up visits).

BHI also said it rendered economic assistance to the survivor’s family.

Garba Shehu, presidential spokesman, says the corruption perception index by Transparency International (TI) which ranked Nigeria low could be based on statements from the opposition party.

In its 2019 corruption perception index published on Thursday, TI ranked Nigeria 146 of 180 countries studied, two points lower than 148 the country was rated in 2018.

The organisation identified some causes of the decline as attack on the media and journalists exposing corruption, selective anti-graft war as well as ingrained corrupt practices in critical sectors.

Both the federal government and the anti-graft agencies dismissed the ranking as baseless and appalling.

Speaking during a Channels TV programme on Friday, Shehu said the report is based on secondary data and not factual.

He said it is only a perception, and it is “different from the reality that you have on the ground”.

“In fairness to the TI that presented the report, they said themselves that it is not research-based,” Shehu said.

“So, it is not fact-based but based on secondary data; information collected here and there. In effect, anybody could put together this kind of report from press releases issued by opposition political parties.”

The presidential spokesman also said the latest report is “harsh on the government,” adding: “This administration has done enormously well. We have achieved quite a lot.

”It is hearsay, somebody said something and we are picking it from there.”

TI said the latest index draws from 13 data sources of 12 independent institutions specialising in governance and business climate analysis.